Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Where Was 007 on 07/07

In my travels, I have made a few friends from the U.K. and the following are a couple of e-mails I recieved after the 07/07 coordinated terrorist attack in London:

1. Sensitized Person Working a Security Detail in Iraq

Doc,
Yes, this is our war. My father fought the Krauts, and we are engaged in a different but equally difficult and potentially hazardous endevour.
Let us prevail.
I will call you later.
(Name removed)

2. De-sensitized London Taxi Driver

Collected My (Thai) wife from work on Wednesday (07/06) and she told Me that tomorrow she had the day off "We go London tomorrow".

Thursday We walked to the Chatham train station and I purchased a day pass ticket for London which gives one unlimited travel on trains and buses in London,and it can only be purchased after 9.30 am.We got onto the 9.32 train to London and I had got My newspaper to read to pass the time on the journey,the leading story and pictures where about the joy of London winning the right to host the 2012 Olympic games,the paper was full of smileing faces.Just before entering greater London a woman in the row next to us answered her mobile,then she grabed the ticket inspecter and said "My daughter has told Me a bomb has exploded in London."(Name removed) asked me "What did she say"?"I answered "I am so bored."
Then more mobiles strarted ringing and more people where saying ,"a bomb has gone off in London."

Yawn

Once again I saw the familair outline of London, Battersea Power station, London Eye, Thames river and I said to (Name removed),"Today we walk."(she thought it was another one of My jokes). We alighted at Victoria platform and the tanoy said,"No underground or buses in service." Outside the station where throngs of people milling about, so We walked and the pavements were busy with pedestrians as everybody was in the same position, instead of us normally getting the underground train We where above ground. Thank goodness I know My way around London so We had a slow walk to Kensington, past the many Embassies in the area and then past the science mueseum, and heard sirens blaring from special branch tearing around in their unmarked blue cars with detachable blue flashing lights on the car roofs.

We entered the Thai embassy, (Name removed) said "not many people here today". The normally crowded Thai embassey had very few customers today and the telivision was on BBC live news, and then we got an idea what had happened, it was all happening in another part of London. Sorted the official paper work and then left Embassy and strolled along and went into Harrods food hall, purchased Thai fruits for (Name removed) and prickley pears for Myself. I tried to explain to (Name removed) that this shop has a famous name, (blank look) and that I had visited it just days before the IRA had bombed it in 1983. We strolled through Knightsbridge and I saw a few copies of Yellow pages on the doorstep of apartments, so I picked up a copy. We got to Victoria station at 1 o'clock, and the police had shut it, I was non too pleased about this, typical overeaction of British police. So we went to a cafe to have something to eat, and it was in the new bus terminas that caters for Eastern European buses going to Poland, Slovakia and places nobody had heard of ten years ago. Guess what? Theses coaches where not aloud to go, Victoria coach station was also shut, so domestic coaches could not go. So hundreds of people where sitting around on suitcases,waiting.


I looked into my new Yellow pages and looked up Resterants, there is every type of restaurant in London from all over the world You can think of, Lebanese, Swiss, Etheopian, Egyption, planet alien , But no Bavarian. It is only when I travel abroad, that I can eat in a German restaurant. (Kein heir)

How are We going to get home , it looks like we maybe spending the night in a hotel.
Here I sat on the steps of a coach station and I am witnessing another historic day in London's history, and I am so bored, I don't want to be here. (and I know the media so well, Londoners are so stoic, English inner strength, the crap from Tony Blairs mouth)

Then another lot of very noisy paranoid police vechiles come screaming along, and they leap out and move us further away from the station. I mutter,"stupid wankers"

So I spot a barbers shop and go in for a haircut, may as well pass the time getting a haircut at London prices. The barber shop tele is tuned into the BBC news and there is only one subject London. Then G.Bush comes on and just as he opens his mouth the Barber grabes the remote and changes channels. Is Bush the most hated man on this planet?

Finally after a pointless wait, hey they open the station and how did I know the first train out was going to be packed. (Name removed) said that the people on the train where nervous, I didnt feel any nervousness in the air. I said "I renember when the IRA bombed London(1996) and I was living in a flat in London and all the closed doors in my flat blew open."

Eventually we got to Chatham station and I went to the ticket office and got a full refund on our tickets.
Now, we have our own 07/07.
No surprises there, 4 years ago I predicted it was coming and everyone agreed. The only surprise was that it took so long. There will be more.


Yawn.